Saturday 13 September 2014

A wander around Petersham.


 On Friday my daughter was over my way so she came and collected me and we travelled on the train back to her place, she lives at Petersham only a couple of klms from the city, it's more compact than where I live but this is the area we lived in when she was a little girl, she went to primary school here, well close by, she always liked this area and wanted to buy a house here, so last year she and her partner bought one.  
On the way to her place I took some photos of things that caught my eye, I've always liked these one story cottages, they are small but usually go back a fair way bigger than you think.
 This is a corner house built right on the street maybe a shop in a past life.
 Weid fence this one.
 Cat's on the fence, wonder do the eyes glow at night.
 Most houses are very close together.
 I like the steps and front doors.

 Lots of large trees, the brick stack is straight maybe I was holding the camera at a bit of a angle.
 some old fashioned mansions

 and of course a hippy car


I
 I stayed the night and Angus went for his early morning walk then a game of  with my daughter, I think there are many holes in the ball but it still works.





 Then off for breakfast
 We all tucked into home made crumpets with honey and butter and very delicious pears, they were very good but very filling.
 This was painted on the brick wall across the street.
 Don't they look yummy
 Then off shopping I bought a new microwave.
 One morning last week it was a bit foggy but these colourful little fellows were having a good feed in my bottlebrush out the front.
There were 5 of them all chattering away quietly to each other, usually they are very noisy birds maybe the fog had quietened them down and it was very early in the morning.

This was as close as I came to getting a couple in a photo, if you look close there is another one in the top right hand corner.

24 comments:

  1. What a wonderful wander in Petersham. I do like the old homes. Quirky and charming.
    Love the rainbow lorikeets too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised that the rainbow lorikeets were so quiet maybe they realised most people were asleep.
      Merle.........

      Delete
  2. Petersham is a very pretty area, I love all the houses. Those crumpets look so delicious! Nice to see Angus playing with a soccer ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angus will never make a soccer player he just will not give up the ball.
      Merle..........

      Delete
  3. Petersham is lovely. I love the heritage buildings with such character.
    You are so lucky to have such pretty birds so close to home.They certainly look like they are enjoying their breakfast,talking of which your crumpet breakfast looked huge but delicious..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good but tasted like nothing like a crumpet and looked different more like a very thick pancake but very tasty.
      Merle........

      Delete
  4. Hari Om
    Petersham is a wonderful spot - all those close city suburbs hold such variety and surprise. I had a friend who lived in one of the bungalow terraces and as you say, it was a bit like entering a tardis! Enjoyed that little walk around - and now am drooling at the idea of home made crumpets.... off to the kitche! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you made them I never come across them before only the ones in the shop.
      Merle.........

      Delete
  5. It was a great exploration of places you may not have appreciated when you lived there. We'll say no more about the leaning tower of Petersham. I was a little distracted when looking at the photo of you by someone else in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm guessing that Petersham was named after Petersham in Hampshire England. The little cottages remind me of a row of cottages in the village in Hampshire where we lived (not Petersham,but close).
    I like the photo of you!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To tell you the truth I don't know but most of our Sydney suburbs are named after english places and people nobody had any new ideas at that time.
      Merle..............

      Delete
  7. What a charming little place! I particularly love that funky fence :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fond of a unusual fence.
      Merle.............

      Delete
  8. Wow! It looks very colourful and happening and stuff to see and do everywhere. I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it is the start of spring we are all very excited.
      Merle......

      Delete
  9. My favorite thing to do, wander around and look a houses but of late, I haven't had much time for it. That roller coaster fence is the dream child of someone who really wanted to be different. I love the iron gates and fences. I wanted an iron fence but it was beyond my budget. That is a terrific picture of you in the cafe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a pleasant way to spend some time, when the weather is nice and it's been pretty good lately.
      Thank you no one much says I look good in photos these days guess I'm getting old.
      Merle..................

      Delete
  10. What great fun. I can see why your daughter wanted to end up living in that area. It is just beautiful. That food looks scrumptious, too- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice area now when we lived there we were under the main flightpath and it was very noisy.
      Merle..........

      Delete
  11. P.S. I love the cats on the fence, I've seen some in shops here but not for a long time, when I do I'll get some for my yard.
    I like the hippy car too, it would be so easy to locate in a supermarket carpark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right I never thought about that, these days all cars do look the same.
      Merle.................

      Delete
  12. Oh, fabulous photos, Merle - you have captured some very nice views! I really love the homes and buildings there - they have a certain vintage charm, don't they? I would love to have an old van and paint it up, 'Hippie Style'. Great mural and pretty birds, but I love the photo of your daughter and sweetheart the best. She seems to be saying, 'Mum, pleeeeease - not so early!' She's a cutie pie. The crumpets and pears look really good. Thanks for taking us along, it was fun. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. The homes in that area are wonderful, all different but I would miss my garden not a lot of land, only small blocks.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete

Hello